WRC – Ogier extends lead in fierce Monza battle against Evans

WRC – Ogier extends lead in fierce Monza battle against Evans

Sport news

Sébastien Ogier led ACI Rally Monza after a breathless Saturday morning in the Italian Alps in which the lead changed hands three times in four stages.

Ogier headed Toyota Gazoo Racing team-mate Elfyn Evans by 5.2sec at the midpoint of the penultimate leg. The Yaris World Rally Car driver remains on course to sign off his full-time career here with an eighth FIA World Rally Championship in nine seasons.

Ogier snatched the lead from Evans in the opening San Fermo mountain speed test, only for the Welshman to regain top spot in the following Selvino. Ogier was back in front after the second pass through San Fermo and extended the margin in the repeat of Selvino.

“Five seconds is not that much, but it’s better to have them than not,” said Ogier. “We had a good feeling in the mountains this morning. So far so good for the championship, but if anything happens to me then Elfyn has an easy win and that would be it, so we must stay focused.”

Evans admitted the morning had not been easy. “I struggled in the first stage of the loop, both times through. Seb has been going pretty well and this afternoon he will be hungry to do better than he did yesterday so we have to keep trying to make improvements,” he said.

Dani Sordo demoted Hyundai i20 team-mate Thierry Neuville from third. Neuville started the morning well with fastest time in San Fermo but hit a barrier in the next test on cold tyres, ripping the front bumper and aero from his car.

Neuville lost almost 30sec but although the car looked far from pretty, he continued to set strong times and trailed Sordo by 18.5sec. Spaniard Sordo complained of understeer initially but was happier with the handling by the end of the loop.

The abrasive asphalt was tough on tyres and Oliver Solberg admitted his were on the limit as he completed the final kilometres of the loop. The Swede kept things clean to retain fifth in his i20, 25.8sec behind Neuville.

An upbeat Takamoto Katsuta was sixth in another Yaris. The Japanese pilot struggled for grip initially, but things quickly improved and he returned to the Monza service park 17.3sec adrift of Solberg.

Brake problems slowed Gus Greensmith all morning and the Ford Fiesta driver accepted the inevitable when Teemu Suninen overhauled him for seventh. Suninen survived a brush with a barrier and the pair were separated by 10.5sec.

Kalle Rovanperä remained in full cautious mode as he focused on delivering the points required to secure the manufacturers’ title for Toyota should Ogier and Evans hit trouble ahead. The Finn was ninth with FIA WRC3 leader Yohan Rossel 10th.

 

World Rally Championship

Rally MonzaWRC2021 WRC - ACI Rally Monza - S. Ogier/J. Ingrassia (DPPI Media / Nikos Katikis)SEASON 2021SportRallies1SportWorld Rally ChampionshipRalliesWRCSEASON 2021Rally Monza01Saturday, November 20, 2021 – 2:33pmSaturday, November 20, 2021 – 2:33pm

F1 Qatar GP: Bottas leads Mercedes 1-2 ahead of Verstappen in FP3

The warm afternoon session got off to a false start, being immediately red flagged for Nikita Mazepin’s Haas coming to a halt on pit exit. It led to the Russian remaining in the garage having also missed all of FP2.
With a five-minute delay the lights sprang to green again for Qatar’s final practice session ahead of Saturday night qualifying.
Given the daytime conditions being less …Keep reading

What’s behind the FIA’s change of focus on Qatar F1 track limits

After observing what happened on track and following a discussion in the drivers’ briefing Masi has adjusted the list of corners that will be monitored from FP3 onwards.
On Thursday, in his regular notes issued to teams, Masi specified the exits of Turns 4, 12, 13, 14 and 16 as locations where he expected drivers to run wide and track limits would be monitored via timing loops in the …Keep reading

Alfa Romeo: “Too risky” to promote Pourchaire to F1 for 2022

Alfa Romeo announced earlier this week that it had signed Formula 2 title contender Guanyu Zhou for next season, partnering the incoming Valtteri Bottas.
It ended the hopes of Sauber junior Pourchaire – who also races in F2 and currently sits fifth in the championship in his rookie season – of making the leap up to F1 for next year.
Speaking on Friday in Qatar, Alfa Romeo team boss Vasseur …Keep reading

F1 teams tell drivers to avoid hitting Qatar kerbs after practice damage

Formula 1 teams warned drivers to stay off the kerbs at Losail circuit after several cars suffered damage in practice on Friday.
The most seriously affected driver was Nikita Mazepin, whose Haas chassis was damaged, obliging the Russian to miss FP2 while the spare monocoque was prepared for Saturday. Other teams had issues with floors and other carbon bodywork parts.
The FIA spec kerbs were …Keep reading