Piastri unsure Ricciardo wanted to hear from him amid F1 contract situation

McLaren’s decision to swoop for Piastri earlier this summer helped trigger the exit of Ricciardo from the Woking-based squad, with his F1 future now uncertain.
That scenario could have led to a lot of awkwardness between the pair as their shared nationality added an extra edge to the driver market movements of the summer.
But in a bid to ensure that there was no chance of tensions emerging …Keep reading
FIA approves three additional Sprint sessions in the Formula One World Championship

FIA approves three additional Sprint sessions in the Formula One World Championship

Sport news

The FIA World Motor Sport Council has today, 27 September, approved by e-vote an increase in the number of Events featuring Sprint sessions in the FIA Formula One World Championship from three to six from the 2023 season onwards.

Sprint sessions, which were first introduced in 2021, have been a popular update to the Formula 1 weekend format across a selection of carefully chosen events, providing fans with the additional excitement of the Qualifying session taking place on Friday, and a Sprint on Saturday to set the grid for Sunday’s Grand Prix.

With the regulatory framework now in place to allow for the additional Sprint sessions, confirmation of the specific Events at which they will take place will follow in due course.

FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem said“The confirmation that six race weekends featuring Sprint will take place from the 2023 FIA Formula One World Championship season onwards is another example of the continued growth and prosperity at the highest level of motor sport. Thanks to close collaboration with Stefano Domenicali and our colleagues at FOM, we concluded a thorough analysis on the impact of additional Sprint sessions, and have adjusted relevant parameters of our work to ensure that they continue to be regulated at the very highest level. Sprint sessions provide an exciting dynamic to the race weekend format and have proven to be popular over the past two seasons – I am sure that this positive trend will continue and am pleased that the World Motor Sport Council has today given its approval for them to go ahead.”

Formula 1 President and CEO Stefano Domenicali said: I am pleased that we can confirm six Sprints will be part of the Championship from 2023 onwards, building on the success of the new format introduced for the first time in 2021. The Sprint provides action across three days with the drivers all fighting for something right from the start on Friday through to the main event on Sunday – adding more drama and excitement to the weekend. The feedback from the fans, teams, promoters, and partners has been very positive and the format is adding a new dimension to Formula 1, and we all want to ensure its success in the future.”

 

Notes to editors:

The World Motor Sport Council is the supreme decision-making body for the FIA, elected at the Annual General Assembly. It is comprised of 28 members covering all continents. Members include seven FIA Vice-Presidents and representation from Africa, Asia-Pacific, the Americas, Europe and the Middle East.
Any regulatory changes to the FIA Formula One World Championship require the approval of the World Motor Sport Council. For matters relating to the Formula 1 calendar, dates and venues are submitted by the Commercial Rights Holder (FOM) for approval by the World Motor Sport Council.
There have been no changes to the commercial agreements between the FIA and FOM in relation to Sprint sessions.
The FIA is a non-profit organisation that invests in the development of motor sport and mobility worldwide.

FIA Formula One World Championship

Formula 1F1SEASON 2022SportCircuit1SportFIA Formula One World ChampionshipCircuitF1SEASON 2022Formula 100Tuesday, September 27, 2022 – 4:44pmTuesday, September 27, 2022 – 4:44pm

F1 drivers call for FIA review of tighter pitlanes

The upcoming race in Singapore also features one of the tighter pitlanes of the season.
Sainz was one of several drivers to be involved in unsafe release incidents over the Zandvoort weekend, and in his case he drove into the path of Fernando Alonso.
At an earlier Sainz stop Sergio Perez ran over a Ferrari wheelgun as he left the Red Bull pit.
Sainz received a five-second penalty for the …Keep reading

Zhou Guanyu to stay with Alfa Romeo F1 team in 2023

The news has been expected for some time, and it’s understood that the team officially took up its option on the Chinese driver at the end of last month, with the formal announcement timed to coincide with the sport’s return to Asian marker for this weekend’s Singapore GP.
Zhou scored points with a 10th place finish on his debut with Alfa Romeo in Bahrain, and followed up with eighth in Canada …Keep reading

McLaren to run tweaked livery in next two races of F1 2022

The cars of Lando Norris and Daniel Ricciardo will feature neon pink elements and cyberpunk-inspired engine illustrations alongside its traditional orange papaya colours, to herald F1’s return to Asia for the first time since 2019.
The livery forms part of a joint campaign between McLaren and crypto exchange OKX labelled ‘Future Mode’, with both drivers’ race suits also being enhanced for the …Keep reading