Mercedes: Uncertainties over W14 F1 car gone with new “baseline” in place

The German manufacturer had the first run of its upgraded F1 challenger on a proper circuit in Spain this weekend, after the parts appeared originally in Monaco. 
And as Lewis Hamilton put himself in contention for a front row start, before a collision with team-mate George Russell damaged his car and compromised his later form, Mercedes says it has taken huge encouragement from what it …Keep reading

Why McLaren shocked on F1’s toughest aero track

Norris qualified third for the Barcelona race behind pole-winner Max Verstappen and home hero Carlos Sainz – his best qualifying result of 2023 by four positions (his next best was seventh in Azerbaijan). 
The Briton said afterwards the result left him “shocked” as he had thought “it was going to be tough to get out of Q1”, and outlined his belief that the Barcelona layout …Keep reading

Steiner reprimanded for F1 stewards’ criticisms 

Steiner spoke out against the decision of the stewards at the Monaco GP to impose a time penalty on Nico Hulkenberg for an opening-lap collision. 
With Steiner feeling that Hulkenberg did not make any untoward contact, he said the time had come for the appointment of full-time professional stewards. 
“Every professional sport has got professionals being referees and stuff like …Keep reading
WRC – Breaking news: Neuville claims Sardinia glory

WRC – Breaking news: Neuville claims Sardinia glory

Sport news

Thierry Neuville has claimed his and Hyundai Mobis Shell World Rally Team’s first victory of the 2023 FIA World Rally Championship season by making it through Rally Italia Sardegna’s rain-hit Wolf Power Stage at the top of the provisional classification.

With fellow Belgian Martijn Wydaeghe co-driving, Neuville’s success was his 18th in the WRC and his third on the Mediterranean island’s demanding gravel event and means there have been four different winners so far this season.  

“It was a challenging weekend,” said the 34-year-old, who piloted a Pirelli-equipped Hyundai i20 N Rally1 Hybrid. “We came here with the belief that we could fight for the victory but we lost a bit of time on the first day, we caught it back and lost it again. But then we found ourselves in the lead and we had to manage it. It’s the first victory of the season, the first for our team principal and it’s a one-two for the team. We all have Craig in our memories as well.”

Esapekka Lappi and Janne Ferme made it a Hyundai one-two with Kalle Rovanperä and Jonne Halttunen third for Toyota Gazoo Racing WRT and the winners of the 50th Wolf Power Stage in their Toyota GR Yaris Rally1 Hybrid.

Report to follow.

 

World Rally Championship

Rally Italia SardegnaWRCSEASON 2023SportRallies1SportWorld Rally ChampionshipRalliesWRCSEASON 2023Rally Italia Sardegna01Sunday, June 4, 2023 – 1:32pmSunday, June 4, 2023 – 1:32pm

Aston Martin explains extent of damage to Alonso’s F1 floor

Alonso’s problems started when he ran wide onto the gravel at the final corner as he started his first lap in Q1 in Barcelona.
He recovered to get out of that session in 12th and then took eighth in Q2. With the car in a better state for Q3, Alonso believed he could still have made the front row, but a mistake on his final lap consigned him to ninth.
The team managed to gradually repair the …Keep reading
F3 – Josep María Martí and Campos untouchable on home soil

F3 – Josep María Martí and Campos untouchable on home soil

Sport news

Josep María Martí proved that there’s no place like home, as he secured his first Formula 3 Feature Race victory at his and Campos Racing’s home race. The Spaniard started from pole and kept everything in check to convert it into his third win of the campaign and put himself into the title fight.

Franco Colapinto returned to the podium for the first time since the Sakhir Sprint Race but couldn’t catch Martí for the win after a mid-race overtake for second. Dino Beganovic’s consistency continued as he comfortably claimed third.

AS IT HAPPENED

Despite getting a strong launch from pole, Martí was forced to immediately dive to the inside to cover off Taylor Barnard. Making an impression on his first front row start and benefiting from the slipstream, the Jenzer Motorsport driver tried to swoop around the outside but had to peel off down the escape road, re-joining in second.

After scoring his maiden podium in the Sprint Race, Luke Browning’s race came to an early end on the opening lap. Contact with Leonardo Fornaroli down into Turn 4 left the #16 Hitech Pulse-Eight pulling up with broken suspension to bring out the Safety Car.

default image

Martí opted to make the jump early on Lap 7, trying to pull away from Barnard through Turn 12. The Briton was all over the Campos just after the restart but couldn’t sustain the pace, dropping out of DRS range by Lap 10.

Barnard steadily began to drop down the order, as Colapinto and Beganovic breezed past the Jenzer along the main straight on consecutive laps with DRS.

Gabriel Bortoleto found his way through on Lap 17, but Barnard attempted to fight back through Turn 2. That opened the door for Aron to swoop past, going late on the brakes downhill through Turn 5.

A mistake out of the final corner gave Mari Boya and Sebastián Montoya their opportunities to pounce. Whilst the MP Motorsport driver got through, Barnard fought back, diving up the inside of the Hitech Pulse-Eight driver to regain eighth momentarily before a late lunge from Montoya stuck.

In the battle for the final points, Sprint Race winner Zak O’Sullivan made an ambitious overtake attempt on Oliver Goethe around the outside of Turn 13. It put the pair three-wide with Grégoire Saucy on the start of Lap 19. Although both the PREMA Racing and ART Grand Prix drivers found their way past, the #8 ART picked up a puncture after the slightest of contact with the Trident’s front wing. Saucy dropped to the back of the pack while Goethe received a 10-second time penalty for causing a collision.

Out front, nobody could deny Martí and the crowd their celebrations, with the Spaniard reaching the chequered flag 4.4 seconds ahead of Colapinto and Beganovic. Bortoleto achieved back-to-back P4 finishes ahead of Aron and home hero Boya.

Montoya secured seventh ahead of O’Sullivan, after the Williams junior demoted Barnard to P9 with a move on the penultimate lap. Goethe’s time penalty promoted Christian Mansell to the final points position.

default image

KEY QUOTE – Josep María Martí, Campos Racing

“Just won my first Feature Race here at home, so I’m just so happy with it. Obviously, we did a great race, had to manage Taylor in the beginning and then after the Safety Car restart, I had to manage him again for a little bit. All of a sudden, I looked in my mirrors, I looked again, and Franco was there.

“I had to manage my pace from then on, try to keep my tyres in a good shape before the end because I really didn’t know what Franco was doing with his tyres, with him you never know. I was just trying to do my best, get my best race time and it went perfectly, so super happy with the result and a massive thank you to the team.”

THE CHAMPIONSHIP STANDINGS

Bortoleto remains in the lead of the Drivers’ Championship, sitting comfortably on 92 points. Victory has rocketed Martí from sixth to second on 68 points, seven points ahead of Beganovic in third. Gabriele Minì couldn’t add any points to his tally and drops to fourth, with Aron now two behind the Italian on 54 points.

PREMA Racing leapfrog their compatriots Trident to the top of the Teams’ Standings on 156 points, with a five-point advantage. Hitech Pulse-Eight remain third on 117, as Campos Racing and MP Motorsport overtake ART Grand Prix for fourth and fifth, on 73 and 62 points respectively.

UP NEXT

The Formula 3 field has a short break before a busy run of four race weekends in five weeks. The action gets underway with Round 6 and a visit to Spielberg on 30 June – 2 July.

FIA Formula 3 Championship

F3Formula 3F3SEASON 2023SportCircuit1SportFIA Formula 3 ChampionshipCircuitF3SEASON 2023F3Formula 300Sunday, June 4, 2023 – 12:05pmSunday, June 4, 2023 – 12:05pm

How Verstappen’s lost lap would have extended his Barcelona F1 dominance

Yet his dash to pole position for the Spanish Grand Prix was made that bit easier again when the only other driver to top a qualifying shootout this term, Charles Leclerc, was knocked out in Q1. Two more big scalps were claimed in Q2 as Sergio Perez and George Russell were also eliminated.
His path looking clearer, Verstappen was left to bolt to a 1m12.727s effort with some eight minutes of Q3 …Keep reading